This web page provides answers for the Genesis Bible study daily questions on chapter eleven. We pray that God will inspire you to live for Him and His glory as you study His word.
1. Fill in the ages of the line of Shem on the chart in the space provided for each name.
Click here to download a worksheet with answers (PDF file) to compare your answers for the descendants of Seth.
Please understand that the years across the top and bottom of the chart in the worksheet do not represent a time line of equal points in time depicted horizontally. They simply represent the birth/death years of the patriarchs in a horizontal arrangement to demonstrate who was alive at what points in time and who was alive when others were also alive.
DETERMINING NOAH, SETH AND ARPHAXAD’S BIRTH YEARS
You may determine the year Noah was born by adding the years of the father's ages as provided in Genesis chapter 5 together to arrive at the year 1056. Add Adams age when Seth was born to the age of Seth when Enosh was born and so on and you will see that the year Noah was born was 1056.
Now that we know the year of Noah's birth was 1056, we can determine the birth year of Shem. From Genesis 7:11 we know the flood came when not was 600 years old. That puts us at the year 1656. From Genesis 11:10 we learn that Shem was 100 years old two years after the flood. This means that he was born 98 years before the flood in the year 1558.
We learn from Genesis 11:10 that Shem was 100 years old when Arphaxad was born which places his birth year at 1658.
The other birth years all build on these birth years.
2. Was Noah alive during Abrams lifetime? If so, how old was Abram when Noah died?
Yes, 58 years
3. Which 3 fathers outlived their sons?
4. Which father outlived the most descendants?
Eber outlived six, but Shem outlived eight.
5. Who was the leader of the people who settled in Shinar? From which of the three sons of Noah did he descend?
Nimrod was their leader, he descended from Ham (see verses 8-12)
6. What two advantages did the people hope to gain in building the tower?
7. Why were the people wrong to build the tower?
8. What two things did God cause to happen to those who were building the tower?
9. How were Shem and Terah similar as fathers but different than the other fathers listed in chapter 11?
They are similar in that they both became fathers at a later age compared to the others. Sehm became a father at age 100 and Terah became a father at age 70.
Compare this to the ages of the other fathers mentioned:
They are similar to each other but different from the others also because they both had more than one son listed (Shem’s are listed in Chap 10)
10. How were Nimrod and Cain similar?
11. Which human characters that we have studied in these 11 chapters of Genesis have been:
12. What do we know so far about Abram?
13. After studying these 11 chapters of Genesis what have you learned that you can apply in your everyday life?
Your answer goes here because only you can answer this question.
Go to our other site for further studies on the Book of Genesis