1. What do you learn about God from reading the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 1 and 2?
2. Jesus Christ is referred to as the Word. List 5 aspects of Jesus Christ we learn from studying the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 1-4.
3. Jesus is referred to as the Light. List 5 truths you learn about the Light from reading the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 4 though 9.
1. Compare the 2 basic reactions man has to Jesus as the Light in reading the Gospel of John Chapter 3, verses 19-21.
Hated the light
Men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil (John 3:19)
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed (John 3:20)
Loves the light
But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God." (John 3:21)
2. What truths can you see by studying the Epistle of I John Chapter 3 verse 1 and then studying the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 10-11?
3. Give some examples of how the world did not recognize and did not receive Jesus Christ.
1. In reading the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verse 16 it says we have received blessing after blessing or grace upon grace from Jesus Christ. What blessings have you received?
2. Why would the message John preached as shown in the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verse 15 seem strange to the Jews?
John was the forerunner of Jesus, going before Him to prepare His way. Yet John states that He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me. Why would a king need a forerunner if he went before the forerunner? How can someone come after and yet be before someone?
3. List 5 things you learn about John the Baptist from reading Luke Chapter 1, verses 14-17 as given by the angel Gabriel.
1. What do you learn about John the Baptist from studying what Jesus said in Matthew Chapter 11, verses 7 through 14?
2. Read Matthew 3:5-6, and Mark 1:5. Why did the Jewish leaders send messengers to ask John the Baptist about his identity?
Because of the great numbers of people that were drawn to him
People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River (Matt 3:5-6).
The whole Judean countryside and all the people of Jerusalem went out to him. Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River (Mark 1:5).
3. From the nature of the question the Pharisees asked in the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verse 24, what was their view of John’s authority to baptize?
They thought he had no authority unless he were one of the three they mentioned – The Messiah, Elijah, or that prophet.
1. What reason does John the Baptist give for performing water baptisms and what life lesson do we gather from this concept today?
That Jesus Christ might be revealed to Israel (verse 31), which means we should also be baptized with water as a public testimony to the salvation available in Christ Jesus.
2. From studying the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 32 through 34 explain:
3. From studying the Gospel of John Chapter 1 verses 35 through 40 explain:
1. What can we surmise of the character and life of Andrew from studying the following verses?
2. What do we know about Peter from a study of the following verses?
3. Compare Nathaniel's initial impression of Jesus when he was first told of him to the greeting Jesus gave Nathaniel and his impression of Nathaniel.
Nathaniel was skeptical and doubtful of Jesus’ character.
Jesus firmly stated Nathaniel's character was exemplary.