1. Verse 1 tells us to be imitators of God. How are we to imitate God? Who was our model?
As dearly loved children we are to live a life of love
We are to model our behavior after Christ who loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
2. How are we to live our lives according to verses 2, 8 and 15?
3. What are the six things Christians should not have in their lives according to verses 3 and 4?
1. What 2 reasons does Paul give for Christians to not have these six things in their lives?
2. Have you been in a group of people and someone begins to tell an off-color joke or story? What have you done or could you have done in these situations which are out of place for Christians?
ONE MAN'S EXPERIENCE:
3. What would be an example of a hint of sexual immorality or any kind of impurity or greed that we should not have in our lives according to verse three?
1. How can we expose the fruitless deeds of darkness from verse 11? Read the following verses to gain an understanding:
By letting the light of Christ shine in our hearts which is sharing the good news
2. In the following verses we are told to do certain things detailed below. Each example also has a contrasting command(s). List the contrasting verse(s) for each and the contrasting command(s).
Verse 1 - Be imitators of God
Verse 7 - Therefore do not be partners with them
Verse 15 - Be very careful, then, how you live
Verse 17 - Therefore do not be foolish
Verse 18 - Do not get drunk on wine
3. Why is getting drunk a sin?
Because it provides a means for us to display a loss of all reason which distinguishes us from animals – We were made in the image of God.
1. What does it mean to submit ourselves to one another out of reverence for Christ (verse 21)?
Do the following verses from the Book of Romans provide us any ideas: Romans 12:10,16; 13:8; 14:13; and 15:7?
Do you think Jesus Christ provided us any examples from his life?
2. Who are the two audiences in verse 19 and how are they different, the same?
Different: Physical communication Spiritual communication
Same: Both done in the spirit of love, to honor God
3. Please answer the question below. If you are single, answer as though you were married.
A question for the ladies: What makes it easy for you to submit to your husband as provided in verse 22?
A question for the husbands: What makes it easy for you to love your wife as provided in verse 25?
ONE MAN'S OPINION:
1. What is meant by the phrase “In this same way…” in verse 28? What is the way that is referenced?
In the same way refers to the way husbands are to love their wives –just as Jesus Christ died as a result of sacrificing his body for his bride (the church), husbands are to give our entire lives for the sake of and the protection of our wives
2. What does this chapter say about the top three reasons for divorce today: Money, Sex and Alcohol? Why is there so much divorce these days?
ONE MAN'S OPINION
Ephesians 5:3: But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:18 18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.
3. The following verses state how a husband must love his wife.
What is an example of this type of love?
What specific things about today’s culture are at odds with concepts of a wife submitting to her husband and a husband loving his wife?