This Bible study is based on the Gospel of John Chapter 2 where we find the story of Jesus at the wedding at Cana in Galilee. This is also where we see Jesus drive the moneychangers from the Temple complex.
Your learning comes from reading and studying the Bible. After you have read the Scripture passage below, answer the following questions. It's a good idea to do them every day, so we offer to email the questions to you every day - just sign up below.
Chapter 2, Gospel of John (King James Version)
1 And the third day there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there: 2 And both Jesus was called, and his disciples, to the marriage. 3 And when they wanted wine, the mother of Jesus saith unto him, They have no wine.
4 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come.
5 His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it.
6 And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece. 7 Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. 8 And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. 9 When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 10 And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.
11 This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
12 After this he went down to Capernaum, he, and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples: and they continued there not many days.
13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.
18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body. 22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.
23 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the
feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which
he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew
all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew
what was in man.
Answer the questions below. You can download these questions to work on your own, or we can email the daily questions to you.
Just click here to download a workbook.If you want the questions emailed to you, please complete the form below. You will get 6 emails with the questions for each day. A seventh email will allow you to compare your answers and take you to Chapter 3.
1. What do we learn about Jewish wedding customs from reading the parables in Matthew 22:1-12 and 25:1-10?
2. Name the disciples of Jesus to this point from Chapter 1 of the Gospel of John.
3. What are some possible meanings for the answer Jesus gave his mother in the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 4 when he stated - “mine hour is not yet come”?
1. From the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 11, what can you determine were the 2 results of the miracle Jesus performed at the wedding at Cana?
2. From reading the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 16, and Matthew 21:13, what was the reason Jesus drove the people and animals from the temple courts?
3. Compare the reaction of the disciples and the Jewish leaders to Jesus’ clearing of the moneychangers and animals.
1. In response to the Jewish leaders request for a miracle to show authorization for Jesus’ clearing of the temple courts, Jesus states: “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up”. What do you think is the most remarkable aspect of Jesus response?
2. Where in Scripture is the body of the believer referred to as a temple?
3. In your opinion, why do you think Jesus never explained the reference to himself as the temple?
1. What are the 3 things mentioned in the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 22 concerning Jesus’ disciples that occurred after the resurrection?
2. Read Acts 2:29-32. What Old Testament scripture predicted the resurrection of Jesus?
3. In the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 23 we read that Jesus did many miracles while at the Passover Feast in Jerusalem. These miracles are not described, but from the following verses, describe their impact.
1. From the Gospel of John Chapter 2 verse 24, what two things did Jesus not do?
2. Again from verse 24, what reasons are given for Jesus decisions?
3. What might Jesus have seen in the people that caused him to not entrust himself to the people of Jerusalem?
1. What is about your life that Jesus overlooks and loves you anyway?
2. From the first 2 chapters of John, give 2 examples of Jesus’ power of knowing things about men without having been revealed to him by men.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ. Ephesians 1:3
We hope and pray that this Bible study of the Gospel of John Chapter 2 has blessed you!
Compare Your Answers for the Gospel of John Chapter 2
Gospel of John Main Page
Free Online Bible Study Home Page