Welcome to the fifth of six studies of the Book of Ephesians.
Ephesians Chapter 5 teaches us how to walk in love, light, and wisdom while while watching around us to be wary. We also learn the christian principles of submission in different relationships.
Your learning comes from reading and studying the Bible. After you have read chapter five below, it's a good idea to answer the daily study questions. God Bless and enjoy your Bible study!
Facade from Hadrian's Temple
in Ancient Ephesus
1. Verse 1 of Ephesians Chapter 5 tells us to be imitators of God. How are we to imitate God? Who is our model?
2. How are we to live our lives according to Ephesians Chapter 5, verses 2, 8 and 15?
3. What are the six things Christians should not have in their lives according to verses 3 and 4 of Ephesians Chapter 5?
1. What 2 reasons does Paul give for Christians to not have these six things in their lives?
Have you been in a group of people and someone begins to tell an
off-color joke or story? What have you done or could you have done in
these situations which are out of place for Christians?
3. What would be an example of a hint of sexual immorality or any kind of impurity or greed that we should not have in our lives according to verse three?
1. How can we expose the fruitless deeds of darkness from verse 11? Read the following verses to gain an understanding: John 8:12; John 9:5; Acts 13:47; 2 Corinthians 4:6; and 2 Timothy 1:10.
2. In the following verses we are told to do certain things detailed below.
Each example also has a contrasting command(s).
List the contrasting verse(s) for each and the contrasting command(s).
3. Why is getting drunk a sin?
1. What does it mean to submit
ourselves to one another out of reverence for Christ (see verse 21)? Do the following verses from the Book of Romans
provide us any ideas: Romans 12:10,16; 13:8; 14:13; and 15:7?
Do you think Jesus Christ provided us any examples from his life?
2. Who are the two audiences in verse 19 and how are they different, and how are they the same?
3. Please answer the question below if you are married.
A question for the ladies
What makes it easy for you to submit to your husband as provided in verse 22?
A question for the husbands
What makes it easy for you to love your wife as provided in verse 25?
1. What is meant by the phrase “In this same way. . .” in verse 28? What's the way that it's referenced?
Thinking back on what we’ve learned so far in this study, what do you
think about the top three reasons for divorce today: Money, Sex and
3. The following verses from Ephesians Chapter 5 state
how a husband must love his wife. What is an example of this type of
Verse 25 - Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
Verse 28 - In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
Verse 33 - However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
What specific things about
today’s culture are at odds with concepts of a wife submitting to her
husband and a husband loving his wife as provided here in this Chapter of the Book of Ephesians?