The Gospel of John Chapter 19 provides us the truth of Jesus' suffering, crucifixion, burial.
Despite his great anguish and suffering, Jesus asks God to forgive his persecutors and ensures that his mother will be taken care of by asking the Apostle John to take care of her.
Your learning comes from reading and studying the Bible. After you have read the Scripture passage below, answer the following questions. It's a good idea to do them every day.
Answer the questions below from the Gospel of John, Chapter 19.
You can download these questions to study the Gospel of John Chapter 19 on your own or with a partner if you like.
If you want us to email the daily questions, just complete the form below. You will get 6 emails with the questions for each day. A seventh email will allow you to compare your answers and take you to Chapter 20.
Click here to download a workbook.
1. What do we learn about Pilate from the following verses in the Gospel of John Chapter 19 and 18, as well as the verses from other Gospels?
2. What is flogging and why did Pilate order Jesus to be flogged in verse 1 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19?
1. In verse 5 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19 Pilate presents Jesus to the Jews and tells them “Here is the man“. Describe what Jesus must have looked like to the crowd.
2. What law did the Jews have in mind when they stated that Jesus broke it when he claimed to be the Son of God?
3. Did Jesus claim to be the Son of God? Cite the verse(s)from the Gospel of John and other Gospels and books of the Bible.
1. When Pilate heard that Jews state that Jesus claimed to be the Son of God, verse 8 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19 says he “was even more afraid”. What was Pilate afraid of to begin with and why did this make him even more afraid?
2. Jesus states in verse 11 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19: “Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin." Whom is he referring to?
3. If God’s will was that Jesus should die on the cross, then why was it a sin for Pilate and the Priests to crucify Jesus?
1. What is the difference between Pilate’s, Caiaphas’ and Judas’ sins?
2. Why do you think Pilate posted the notice to the cross that said “Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews”; and why do you think the chief priests objected to it?
3. What scripture was fulfilled by Jesus’ statement of thirst and his subsequent drink?
1. In verse 30 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19 Jesus stated “It is finished”. What was he referring to?
2. Verse 35 of the Gospel John Chapter 19 says: “The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe.” What does this verse mean and why was it written here?
3. Which verses in this chapter of the Gospel of John refer to fulfilled Scripture?
1. Why did Jesus say to his mother in verses 26 and 27 of the Gospel of John Chapter 19 “Dear woman here is your son.” and to John “Here is your mother.”?
2. What facts do we learn about Joseph of Arimathea from the following verses?
3. We will likely never suffer as Jesus did in accomplishing God’s will in our lives. However, how can we take comfort if we do we suffer when we accomplish God’s will? What scriptures help us? (Hint: They are not necessarily found in the Gospel of John. Look in I Peter, Philippians, and II Corinthians.)