Genesis Chapter 1 Answers
This web page provides you Genesis chapter 1 answers for the Genesis Bible study questions. We pray that God will bless you with
understanding as you study His Holy Word.
About These Answers
Questions and Answers
1. List the things God found “good” among His creations from Genesis Chapter 1.
- Verse 4 - The light
- Verse 10 - The land and the seas
- Verse 12 - The vegetation
- Verses 16-18 - The sun, moon and the stars
- Verse 21 - The creatures of the sea and every winged bird
- Verse 25 - The wild animals, the livestock and all the creatures that move along the ground
- Verse 31 - All that he had made, and it was very good
2. What do we learn about God from Genesis Chapter 1?
- He is the Creator
- He speaks His creations into existence
- He is the judge of all He creates
- He blesses that which He chooses
- He is the owner of all He creates (verses 29 and 30)
3. The word “created” (bara') in Genesis Chapter 1 verse 1 is a verb used exclusively of God. Man could not reach up to the powers inherent in this word, for it describes full miracle. By the sovereign, originative power of God something absolutely new was brought into being - the heavens and the earth.
Here the author focuses interest upon all the areas of the world above, around, and below. In this phrase he includes the completed universe as it was known (or might come to be known) by the Hebrews, and all the raw material needed to make suns, planets, stars, nebulae, galaxies, molecules, atoms, electrons, and all the specific things and beings on the earth.
Men of science reveal that our galaxy contains more than 100 billion stars, and that our sun is 150 trillion miles from the center of our galaxy. Our galaxy is one of a small cluster of 19 galaxies, the nearest of which is 30 million light years from us (150 million trillion miles). Our research scientists, by using powerful telescopes, have made reasonably sure that there are more than a billion galaxies. They estimate the number of stars in these galaxies as close to 100 quintillion. The candle power of one of the galaxies is equal to that of 400 million suns. (from The Wycliffe Bible Commentary)
Choose One Question:
- Considering God’s creation, what do you find astounding?
- What aspect amazes you about it?
- What inspires you to worship Him?
- What do you think is His most beautiful creation?
Your answer goes here because only you can answer this question.
If you like, share your answer at the bottom of this page on Facebook.
Questions and Answers
4. Summarize below what God created each day:
- Day One - light
- Day Two - sky
- Day Three - land, seas, and vegetation
- Day Four - sun, moon, and stars
- Day Five - sea creatures and birds
- Day Six - livestock, creatures that move along the ground, wild animals, man and woman
5. In this chapter of Genesis we see the English word “heaven” or “the air” in Genesis Chapter 1 verses 1, 8, 9, 14, 15, 17, 20, 26, 28, and 30 (King James Version) which is translated from the same Hebrew word “shamayim” (shaw-mah'-yim).
Do you think the Creator created His own dwelling place i.e. heaven? Where does God live?
God dwells among His people (3 OT references):
- Leviticus 15:31 "'You must keep the Israelites separate from things that make them unclean, so they will not die in their uncleanness for defiling my dwelling place, which is among them.'"
- Leviticus 26:11 I will put my dwelling place among you, and I will not abhor you.
- Ezekiel 37:27 My dwelling place will be with them; I will be their God, and they will be my people.
God dwells in heaven (11 OT references):
- Deuteronomy 26:15 Look down from heaven, your holy dwelling place, and bless your people Israel and the land you have given us as you promised on oath to our forefathers, a land flowing with milk and honey."
- I Kings 8:30 Hear the supplication of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and when you hear, forgive.
- I Kings 8:39 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive and act; deal with each man according to all he does, since you know his heart (for you alone know the hearts of all men)
- I Kings 8:43 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and do whatever the foreigner asks of you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your own people Israel, and may know that this house I have built bears your Name.
- I Kings 8:49 then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their plea, and uphold their cause.
- II Chronicles 6:21 Hear the supplications of your servant and of your people Israel when they pray toward this place. Hear from heaven, your dwelling place; and when you hear, forgive.
- II Chronicles 6:30 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place. Forgive, and deal with each man according to all he does, since you know his heart (for you alone know the hearts of men)
- II Chronicles 6:33 then hear from heaven, your dwelling place, and do whatever the foreigner asks of you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your own people Israel, and may know that this house I have built bears your Name.
- II Chronicles 6:39 then from heaven, your dwelling place, hear their prayer and their pleas, and uphold their cause. And forgive your people, who have sinned against you.
- II Chronicles 30:27 The priests and the Levites stood to bless the people, and God heard them, for their prayer reached heaven, his holy dwelling place.
- Ps 33:13-14 from heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches
God dwells in the Ark of the Covenant (2 OT references):
- II Samuel 15:25 Then the king said to Zadok, "Take the ark of God back into the city. If I find favor in the LORD's eyes, he will bring me back and let me see it and his dwelling place again.
- I Chronicles 17:5 I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another.
God dwells in the Holy of Holies (5 OT references):
- II Chronicles 29:6 Our fathers were unfaithful; they did evil in the eyes of the LORD our God and forsook him. They turned their faces away from the LORD's dwelling place and turned their backs on him.
- II Chronicles 36:15 The LORD, the God of their fathers, sent word to them through his messengers again and again, because he had pity on his people and on his dwelling place.
- Psalms 74:7 They burned your sanctuary to the ground; they defiled the dwelling place of your Name.
- Psalms 76:2 His tent is in Salem, his dwelling place in Zion.
- Acts 7:45-46 It remained in the land until the time of David, 46 who enjoyed God's favor and asked that he might provide a dwelling place for the God of Jacob.
God dwells wherever He wants to (1 OT reference and 2 NT references):
- Acts 7:48-50 "However, the Most High does not live in houses made by men. As the prophet says: "'Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. What kind of house will you build for me? says the Lord. Or where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things?'
- Acts 17:24 "The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands.
- Isa 66:1-2 This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me? Where will my resting place be? Has not my hand made all these things, and so they came into being?" declares the LORD.
God is Light (1 OT reference and 3 NT references):
- Ps 104:2 He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent
- Tim 6:16 Who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see.
- I John 1:5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
- Rev 22:5 There will be no more night. They will not need the light of a lamp or the light of the sun, for the Lord God will give them light. And they will reign for ever and ever.
We cannot define God in human terms such as place – God is omnipresent and He is Spirit
6. How are we made in the image of and likeness of God per verse 26 of Genesis Chapter 1?
Our lives have the capability to have a spiritual component to them; our physical nature is secondary and temporal - while our spiritual nature is primary and eternal – like God.
Questions and Answers
7. What does verse 26 of Genesis Chapter 1 tell us about mankind relative to the rest of God’s creation?
Mankind is superior to and allowed to rule over the other living creatures
8. How does verse 26 of Genesis Chapter 1 contradict the theory of evolution?
- Man was created by God
- Man was made in the image of God not apes
- Man was made to rule over all living creatures and not to “descend” from them
9. Who is God with when He states “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness…” that He would use the plural?
It was Jesus Christ - See the Gospel of John Chapter 17 verse 5 where Jesus proclaims that He was with God the Father before the world was created.
Questions and Answers
10. What do the following verses tell us about how the God created the universe?
All things were created not only by or through Jesus Christ, but they were created for Him.
11. List the 5 things God has allowed man to rule over per verses 26-28 of Genesis Ch 1.
- the fish of the sea
- the birds of the air
- the livestock
- all the earth
- all the creatures that move along the ground or every living creature that moves along the ground
12. List 5 things that God created that man was not given authority to rule over.
Here are eight:
- the heavens
- two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night
Questions and Answers
13. Which of God’s creations did He bless?
- great creatures of the sea
- every living and moving thing with which the water teems
- every winged bird according to its kind
14. List the 5 commands God gave mankind in verse 28 of Genesis Chapter 1.
- Be fruitful
- Increase in number
- Fill the earth
- Subdue it (the earth)
- Rule over (fish, birds, every creature that moves along the ground)
Bible Study Lessons
Book of Genesis